It’s check-in time!
I love writing these posts, I feel like it validates our approach and gives me some warm feelings on the inside. Just like a pull of fireball while ice fishing – just feels right.
That reminds me, Summer is over, might as well go straight to -10 if you ask me. Not a huge fan of fall, it messes with my thermostat and in MN it’s a toss-up between 35 degrees and 95. Doesn’t make planning really easy!
Some Random updates from the AE household
- Little AE just turned 6 Months old and is adorable. Not crawling yet, but we are getting close (if you follow me on Twitter you will get the occasional baby pic tweet!). She also has a few teeth!
- We started finishing our basement! It’s a major project that will take at least 3-4 months. Will be calling in favors from friends and family to help out with stuff I am not comfortable doing.
- Mrs. AE got a new job! At a new company! More on this later – but it helped us surpass one of our yearly goals
For anyone that has not seen this done before, I hold myself accountable by posting my net worth progress for everyone to see. I firmly believe there is more value in setting and tracking goals, but like to check in on our progress quarterly.
On to the Numbers!
Breaking Down our Net Worth progress this Quarter
Two things make me think our ball might be starting to roll a little bit on its own…..
- Over a $19,000 Increase in our Net Worth (13.04%). Record dollar amount gain in one-quarter
- Over a $14,000 Cash/Investment Jump – Which is mostly attributed to investment increases. This is also a record dollar amount gain in one-quarter.
The only difference between this quarter and last quarter is an extra month of increase 401K contributions. Only explanation is our money is doing more work for us. Might be a short-lived situation if the market turns, but I love seeing our decisions validated with real dollars. I can definitely see how people say the first $100,000 is the hardest – the second is coming way easier already.
Even More Stock Market Power
I have thanked the stock market 3 updates in a row. It is doing some heavy lifting and making these updates look pretty good! More please.
You can see sizable jumps the last two-quarters in the chart above, making a huge difference already. Another real-world example of why investing in your 401K is so important. Especially for Millennials – start now! Mine might hit 50K by the end of the year (also might have just jinxed myself).
Another $2,876 falls off the top of my Student Loan balance – not as great as last quarter and sooooooo close to breaking the 10K barrier. Still a win.
House is FINALLY fixed
It took just over 3 months for our house to get back to normal after a nasty storm ripped through our neighborhood. The siding order was delayed so we spent a decent chunk of the summer with hundreds of holes in our home. Thankfully we are done dealing with insurance companies and contractors. Better be for a long time too.
Not a lot to complain about!
Extra Medical Bills
After battling over the extra medical bills we got last quarter we found where the mistake was made, and unfortunately, they were not billing us incorrectly. Just at a really random timeline (over 4 months late) and our insurance didn’t factor in our deductibles in the first round of bills.
Q3 Goal Check In
Our Q3 goals were to get back to our pre-baby saving levels so I will use that as the template for our Goal tracking.
Return to our Pre-Baby savings rate (39%)
- Passed! Last I calculated it was closer to 40%! Our raises starting May 1st are the only reason we were able to bridge this gap. I have also found we are spending less on evenings and most weekends with a baby (helps cover the insurance/daycare costs). The allocation has changed slightly (not contributing to Mrs. AE’s Roth IRA, but my 401K contribution is up a ton. I also upped Mrs. AE’s allocation another Percentage point after writing the 1% post.
Continue Making Double Student Loan Payments
- Passed! Continued paying down my student loans at an accelerated rate.
- Fail! Extra $125 student loan payment every 2 weeks (this used to be our emergency fund contribution). Assuming daycare ate this. Might try to get back to it by EOY
Pay off our hospital bills
- Fail! We have an outstanding balance on one of our bills. Mostly due to billing issue I discussed earlier. Will get it done by EOY.
Yearly Goals to check off
Grow Combined income by 6%
- Passed! Combined with our 5% and 6% increase in May, Mrs. AE’s new job puts us over the top of our goal for this year! She is getting a 9% bump for the move along with some other perks that could push this even further. Year to date we are up 9% over last year!
- RockStar Feature – I was featured on Rockstar Finance for my Can You do 1% Better post. Check it out and see what 1% can do!
- FinCon! – THIS MONTH!!!!! Looking forward to meeting my internet friends in real life. I might need to bring a mask just in case I need to quickly hide my identity.
- Traffic – The Rockstar bump helped again! Pinterest was a little more stable this last quarter but still not up to the levels I was seeing mid-late last year. I also had my financial quarter, not sure what happened but the stars aligned or something. If it happens again I will get excited (most of it is being rolled back into the site).
- Guest Posts – Started hosting guests posts again, I do have a few minor requirements but if you are interested shoot me an email.
Thanks for reading! Hope you all had a great quarter!