Check-In Time! This makes 10 quarters in a row since I started publishing on this site and the transformation is impressive (2.75 Time the first update). Serves an important reminder to take some time to celebrate the progress we made instead of always looking forward.
Some Random updates from the AE household
- Anxiously awaiting baby number 2, while simultaneously getting the room prepared (essentially making another nursery since our first is still using a crib and we are content with that)
- After much discussion, we decided to hire a cleaning service once a month. At first, I felt a little guilty spending the money ($150), but having ALL the bathrooms (including tub and showers), floors and kitchen cleaned at the same time is worth the money.
- Have gotten a lot of time at the lake already this year, which is good since August will be mostly surviving at home
- We have stepped up our Travel Hacking game over the last three months, still amateurs but learning a lot and racking up enough points to take a big vacation next year (probably without the littles)
For anyone that has not seen this done before, I hold myself accountable by posting my net worth progress for everyone to see. I firmly believe there is more value in setting and tracking goals, but like to check in on our progress quarterly.
Q2 – 2018 Net Worth $215188.22 – Up $17,211.89
Breaking down the numbers:
- Our Net Worth growth took a step in the right direction this quarter – up 8.7% (compared to Q1 which was by far the worst quarter we have had since we started tracking it).
- We didn’t get much market help as there has been a lot of sideways trading in 2018 (see the charts below)
- You can really see the jumps quarterly in my 401K now that I am maxing it out this year. $4,625 contributed every three months from me, plus a company match (part of it in company stock that has done really well this year)
- Mrs. AE is back to rocking a 401K after spending 6 months on the bench with her new employer. Feels so good to be contributing to that again regularly
- You can see the increased focus on our taxable brokerage account, more than doubling. Starting to build up a base outside of our retirement accounts just in case we come across a real estate or business opportunity we are interested in.
S&P 500 and Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF within a percentage point or 2 over a six-month span. I will call that sideways, a good time to accumulate I guess.
Net Worth Quarter by Quarter
Still looking good, up and to the right. Anticipating some bigger jumps (in either direction 🙂 ) over the next few years now that we have a significant amount of money invested.
Net Worth Update – The Good
Student Loans Are Gone FOREVER
I know this was on my last update, but I am still pumped to be done so I am leaving it on this quarter. It is awesome seeing the bulk of our net worth increase going into investment accounts instead of debt reduction!
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
My companies stock is up big this year after tanking last year and my ESPP purchase plan has been taking advantage of it. If it wasn’t for the 3 month blackout period I would throw more money at it.
We both got our raise information after April 1st and combined for a 7.9% salary increase (just under our goal of 8%). We took some of that money and are prepping for the medical costs associated with delivery, started contributing to 529 plans for our kids and increased our brokerage amount contribution slightly.
Net Worth Update – The Bad
Right after I tooted my cars frugal horn, it bit me with a $500 fix. Oh, the irony. I was actually thinking it was going to be worse based on how hard it died when I was driving home from the bus stop. Lives to fight another day!
My Poor Trees
Our trees were hammered by a hail storm last year and I am 50-50 that we will need to replace them. The city is going to send their arborist out to take a look (sometime) and I am hoping for good news. I don’t want to replace them and start over.
Closed my Acorns Account
I closed out my Acorns account and split it between our Roths and Brokerage account. I am not a fan of the active trading of my cash that creates taxable events. Even if the amount is negligible, it is not worth it to me. Outside of that, I liked the service, I have it on my list to do a full write up.
- Digging the new site layout??? I had a new logo and color scheme created and love it so far. Have a few more changes planned if I find time this year.
- Making my FinCon plans (pending a smooth delivery) – will be looking at flights over the next few weeks.
- Rockstar feature for my Less Rocks More Stocks post
- Recorded podcast episodes with Countdown to FI and Chain of Wealth (coming soon)!
- Will write as much as I can the rest of the year. Trying to be actively at least weekly.
Overall, I feel like we got back on track…Just in time for our second kid to change everything up again 🙂
Do you track your Net Worth? How was your Q2?