The last three months were intense, culminating with the birth of our first child at the end of March! She is actually sleeping away on my lap as I write this (it is going to take some practice to master this skill). THANK YOU to everyone who congratulated us when we sent the announcement on Twitter! Little AE and Mom are both doing great and we are adjusting to life with a baby at home.
We followed through on our Q1 2017 goals, and had a great quarter financially! Moving forward we are going to need some creativity…..
For anyone that has not seen this done before, I hold myself accountable by posting my net worth progress for everyone to see. I firmly believe there is more value in setting and tracking goals, but like to check in quarterly. It also shows that what we are doing is working! #FinanceCred
Let’s take a look at the numbers!
I will take a 14+% increase in a quarter! I know this won’t continue as our Net Worth grows but I will take it for now! Our Cash/Investments also crossed a milestone and topped the $100,000 mark!
- Stock Market Power – Record-setting markets definitely pumped our percentage up a few points last quarter. We are patiently waiting for a correction as we are close to making buying more shares in our Rother IRAs.
- Student Loans – We have continued to make extra $125 payments every paycheck, outside of our $1,015 monthly payment that is all we can swing for awhile. Our company stock took a hit over the last few quarters, patiently waiting for a rebound so we can dominate some more debt.
- 401k – If you read my Proof you need to start investing in your 401K post, you know our 401Ks are a focal point for us. I got a substantial 8+% raise mid Q4 last year and put it all towards my 401K. We are both getting raises again this week, hoping to pump our contributions up again.
A few things to complain about this quarter 🙁
- Car decreasing – No surprise here, we won’t be buying a new car for a looooong time.
- Taxes – We got hit with another hefty tax bill this year, one day I will figure this out. Selling a bunch ESPP shares and our employer not taxing Mrs. AE’s overtime appropriately contributed to the blunder.
- $300 Emergency – We ran over a nail and it punctured the side wall, $306 and two tires later we were back on the road. Not great timing as we will have a hospital bill coming pretty soon and a baby to take care of! I haven’t pulled any cash out of our emergency fund yet, might try to swing it without using it.
Entering the Unknown
When we made our goals for 2017 we knew Q2 was going to be a challenge. Hospital costs combined with Mrs. AE only collecting a portion of her salary for 3 months is going to strain our saving. Our plan is to simply roll with the punches for awhile until we settle into a new routine. If we need to adjust out goals after trying everything out so be it.
I am going to use the Quarterly Report to give some updates on the state of Apathy Ends
- Fincon! Coming fast! Can’t wait to meet some of you!
- Seeking out guest posts – I have been reaching out to a few people to guest post, if you are interested please send me an email!
- Traffic – Been stable, with some interesting dips and spikes. My schedule was all over the place again this quarter and my traffic reflected that. Hopefully, I can continue to post fairly regularly over the next few months.
- New Theme – I switched themes over the quarter, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Still have some tweaking to do, but I am happy with the change.
- I am trying to talk Mrs. AE into posting once a month on a topic of her choice, figure you could use a break from me occasionally. Harass her on Twitter @MrsApathyEnds
Assuming everyone had a great quarter with the market increases?