What? Everything doesn’t always go up and to the right at a steep incline?
Bull Bear S**T
Investing joke For.The.Win.
So we hit a few bumps in the road…….Turns out paying for childcare and family health insurance has a way of catching up to ya.
And sometimes the stock market goes down over a 3-month stretch while your company executes a 401K provider change.
Some Random updates from the AE household
- We just celebrated Little AE’s 1st Birthday – it was awesome and she was a champ!
- We opened a 529 for her and are going to start making very modest monthly contributions invested in a low-cost index fund (shocker, I know)
- All is going well with Baby number 2 – we are tossing names back and forth but haven’t found one that sticks yet.
- We are both waiting on raise information, should know more in the next two weeks. Fingers crossed.
For anyone that has not seen this done before, I hold myself accountable by posting my net worth progress for everyone to see. I firmly believe there is more value in setting and tracking goals, but like to check in on our progress quarterly.
Breaking down the numbers:
- Our Net Worth growth slowed significantly from our consistent double-digit jumps to 5.5% for Q1-2018 (You can read the all the reasons for the drop below)
- Our cash/investment growth also slowed significantly this quarter, net it was under a $2K jump
- I am in the middle of cashing out our Acorns account – will provide a full pro/con list for the app at a later date but I don’t like not having control of my $ in a taxable account.
Digging this chart, I will add in a cash/investment line moving forward. That debt is getting close to 0….even though we added some in the vehicle department.
Net Worth Update – The Good
Student Loans Are Gone FOREVER
Still celebrating. Would be making my usual $1,000 payment today, but instead, we get to keep it for ourselves 🙂
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
My companies stock rebounded from some lows at the end of last year. Made a 53% gain in 3 months on my last buy/sell. I get to buy at the discounted rate at the end of June again – maybe another big gain is in the cards.
Net Worth Update – The Bad
When I pulled these numbers the market was down about 4% from the beginning of the year (the chart below helps illustrate that). I don’t really put much thought into 3-month market swings but it is interesting to see the effect it can have on our Net Worth as it grows and our monthly contributions have a lower impact.
Untimely 401K Provider Change
I know this will be peanuts by the time we can actually touch our 401K balances, but we had an untimely 401K provider change
Both mine and Mrs. AE’s money was withdrawn on Jan 1st for the transfer and re-invested about 25 days later on that nice little upwards bump.
That means……Over half our Invested Net Worth was pulled and put back in after a 5% market swing. Pretty crappy and I hate not having control of our money. That definitely hurt our numbers this month, but the fees appear to be better than our previous provider so I will stop complaining (I swear I am over it now…..)
Mrs. AE’s 401K is Absent
Mrs. AE hasn’t been able to contribute to a 401K plan since moving to her new job (6 month waiting period). Thankfully she will get access this month and we will be back to a dual 401K household. We used a lot of the cash that would normally go to her 401K to pay off my student loans. So not terrible, but I like tax breaks.
Tapped the Emergency Fund a bit
I was stashing some extra cash in our Emergency Fund until Mrs. AE could contribute to her 401K last year, but we had to tap into it for a few expenses that came up. Nothing too serious, this is mostly due to our checking account running very lean since we added in our childcare costs. It’s a lot harder to absorb a few $500 hits than it used to be.
A New (to us) Car
I will do a full post on this, but we did take on about $3,000 of debt by upgrading our vehicle to something that can handle two kids and a dog without a car seat hitting my seat. We also took a grand from the extra emergency fund stash to limit the amount of extra debt we took.
- I don’t have a lot to say 🙂 – I am writing when I can while work continues to kick my ass.
Not our greatest quarter, and we slowed down a pretty awesome streak. We are shooting to get back to, or above, our previous wealth building ways this quarter which shouldn’t be a problem.