Little fun Friday post for y’all today. Pretty sure this title is the first time I have typed OMG in my life and I still have mixed feelings about it. Have never been a really good Millennial on the hip shorthand front. Anyways, I recently wrote about one of my buddies and his ultra-non-frugal move of throwing something away because it was “Dirty”.
“One of my friends threw away a perfectly fine outdoor patio furniture cushion because it was dirty……. I told him to throw it in the washing machine and see if that would work (it would, it was dirt that splashed up from the patio) and he glanced at it, said “Nahhhh, I am just going to toss it and get a new one. Don’t tell my wife.”
After writing about my judging of a close buddy, I started thinking…….Do my friends think I am a Cheap Ass?
I do have buck the norm when we are out and people start buying rounds of allegedly alcoholic shots. Sorry (not really) but I don’t want to buy anyone a vile of colored sugar water for $6 with a splash of UV in it.
Giving myself a pass on the crappy shots, but over the next few days, I started paying attention to some of the other things I do….. and I must say
I might be a Cheap Ass
Taking a look at the Evidence
My headphones started to pull apart at the spot they connect so I used some tape to hold them together. Couldn’t have that wire slip out and ruin my music/podcast listening at work or on the bus ride. I had every intention of switching it out for some electrical tape. Make it match a little bit better, but we are 8 days in and it still looks like that.
During our most recent move, the lid to our freezer was damaged and left a 1/2″ gap when it was “shut”
I was considering getting rid of it because it hadn’t been plugged in for a year and a half, but it came in handy for breastmilk storage. Not wanting to replace it for such a minor issue, I grabbed the drill and a bungee cord and made it work.
Nothing says class act like holes in the crotch.
I had my eye on that guy for a few months as it was starting to wear down. One morning I was in a rush and threw on a pair of jeans and was out the door. About 3 hours later I was sitting in a meeting and looked down and realized there was a dime sized hole in a risky local.
Possibly more embarrassing than showing off my underwear at work is this little contraption I have been using.
The grill was dirty. I couldn’t find the scraper. But I did find an extra scraper head, which is weird for a few reasons:
- I didn’t know they made them
- Definitely didn’t know we had one
- You would think it would be stored with the rest of the apparatus
With a dirty, hot grill (not girl for those of you who did a double take) I thought to myself, all this thing needs is a handle. With the full intention of buying a new scraper next time we hit the grocery store. As you can guess, I am still using the pliers.
The Cheap Ass Verdicts
- Exhibit 1
- Crafty, but the fact I haven’t even color matched the cord is pretty lazy and new ear buds are $12. Mr. AE you are a Cheap Ass
- Exhibit 2
- This is straight crafty and it works so I will bear no shame here**. I won’t go as far as declaring myself a genius, but it’s close.
- Exhibit 3
- These pants might be acceptable at a rave, but they are not work attire (even though there is a guy that wears socks with sandals every day). Cheap. Ass.
- Exhibit 4
- I want to say this isn’t a cheap move, that I am trying to make sure I don’t waste something. But when I look at that image and picture myself cleaning the grill using that. Just Wow. Buy a new grill scraper.
There is my take, but I have a special treat for everyone today, Mrs. AE did some proof-reading and wanted to weigh in.
Mrs. AE Weighs in on my Cheap Ass Exhibits
- Exhibit 1
- No, they weren’t $12, they were $8. I bought these in 2011 – my last year in college. I remember because the cord was long enough to reach from a pocket in my backpack to my ears without it getting in the way. Yes, you’re a cheap ass.
- Exhibit 2
- Heck no. This is awesome.
- Exhibit 3
- In the 9.5 years Mr. AE and I have been together, I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER witnessed him purchasing clothing for himself. I think he has bought himself 10 hats in that time though. These jeans were bought 4 years ago when I forced him to Macy’s because the ones he was wearing looked similar to the ones he posted above. Yes, you’re a cheap ass.
- Exhibit 4
- I used this “scraper” this last weekend and laughed the whole time I used it. Cheap ass? Yes. Hilarious? Even more so.
What say you? Cheap ass? Genius? Combo? Anyone want to own up to doing something similar and make me feel good? Anyone else think that dog was pooping?
*I had to google if it’s “Hear, hear” or “Here, here” ***
** I had to google if it was “Bear” or “Bare” and apparently Bare is an invitation to strip down to your birthday suit or something so we are sticking with the Yogi Bear version. ***
***I like Google.